My running journey started in 2009.  I was on my second round of P90X and decided that I wanted a little more cardio.  I went to my local Marshall’s department store and bought a pair or Reebok “running” shoes.  Clearly, I had no clue what I was doing.  I started running a day or two a week in July 2009, less than 2 miles each time.  My pace was in the high 9:00’s.  I had zero desire to run a race of any distance, and had no clue what qualifying for Boston meant.  I was about to go on quite an adventure and I didn’t even know it.

July turned to August and my number of runs for the months climbed from 4 – 17.  I was starting to like this running thing.  I started upping the distance of my runs from <2 to 2 to 3 miles.  I even pushed that month and ran a 5.62 mile run just to see if I could go that far.  I did, with an 8:45 average.  I was proud of myself.  By November 2009, I had logged my first 100 mile month.  I ran three runs of 10+ miles that month.  What was I thinking? I was thinking I wanted to try to race a Half Marathon.  So, one month later on December 12, 2009 I did just that.  I ran the Thunder Road Half Marathon in Charlotte in 1:40:21.  I was hooked.  I loved the atmosphere, the competition.

I ended up having a bit of an issue with my leg.  It was also during the minimal shoe craze so I got a pair of Vibram Five Fingers and started down that path.  I liked it fine and had no issues, but it didn’t stick for me.  Also, on February 27 2010, my then 5yo son ran his first mile.  It was an awesome moment for both of us.  He held a 12:32 pace and had a blast.  In March of 2010 I tried my hand at the half marathon distance again in Knoxville and cut 5 minutes off my previous time.  This was getting fun!  Less than a week after the race in Knoxville I logged my first ever 20m training run.  That put me into taper mode for my first ever marathon in Nashville on April 24.  I had no idea what to expect and boy was I in for a lesson.  The weather was less than ideal and the rain poured and the lightning struck.  So much so that the race had to end early.  Luckily I finished in time (3:54:01) to not get pulled off the course.  I would have been furious!  My first marathon, in the books.  I couldn’t believe I had done it!  From there a ran a 5k, then the Chicago Marathon on 10.10.10.  That was a fantastic event, but the weather was 90+ degrees.  It was brutal and I was toast.  About 10 days after that race I set my 5k PR of 19:23 that would stand for almost 6 years to the day.